St Petersburg’s walled town is the fortress of St Peter and St Paul.
It was the 1703 first part of the city to be built, close to Peter the Great’s original log cabin. It is home to the Orthodox Cathedral, which is the traditional last resting place of the Romanov Czars and more notoriously to prisons that housed and often executed generations of literary dissidents and revolutionaries. Currently it houses important museums of the history of the city and military. First Governor was General Roman/Romulus (?) Jacob Vilimovich Bruce.