In the Czech republik – a dowry town of Bohemian queens is situated on the border between Bohemia and Moravia, at the edge of the Bohemian-Moravian highlands
The historical town Polička was founded in the year 1265 by Přemysl Otakar II. The old town centre is still surrounded by massive stone walls, the construction of which began in the 14th century. You can walk on the some pssages with a guide. The main landmark is given by St. James Church, in the tower was born the famous Czech composer Bohuslav Martinů. You can visit the native room of Bohuslav Martinů in the tower of St. James Church with a wonderful wiew over the town of Polička.
We recommend to see: Bohuslav Martinů Centre in Polička – new playful exhibitions, history, music. Place that entertains and teaches.
EXHIBITIONS OF BOHUSLAV MARTINŮ CENTRE:
History of Polička and its surroundings, Local glassmaking, Bohuslav Martinu´s classroom, The colourful world of Bohuslav Martinů (exhibition of musician´s life and his works)
Audiovisual room, Room for holding concerts, exhibitons and forums.
Poličkas town square with baroque town hall and the plague column (22m higt) – it belongs to the most valuable pieces of column art in Bohemia.
Svojanov Castle – the early gothic castle, one of the oldest in Bohemia
History of the fortress / walled town:
Polička is a royal dowry town with rich history, founded by Czech king Přemysl Otakar II. in 1265. There are two periods of the greatest town prosperity. The first one was the time about 100 years after its foundation. At that time the stone town walls was beginning to be built. Within next hundred years the fortification was completed and used to defend the town. There were the new stone church, the townhall in the paved square and citizen wooden houses where rebuilt to stone buildings. There were 4 gates leading to the town. The ring of the town walls is 1220 m long and strengthened by 19 semi-cylindrical towers.
The main town walls are 2,5 metres thick. The core consists of heaped cast arenaceous marl masonry – stone packing bound together by thin mortar – and both outer walls are faced with stone. The original height of the walls was 10 metres, on the inner side the masonry receded at a height of 8 metres, this creating a walkway protected by a wall with battlements. In the times of George of Poděbrady the wall was even more fortified and complemented by barbicans. In eighties were open the two parts of town walls gallery, it is very nice to walk on the wall with the guide. The ring of the town fortification walls surrounds the old town centre and among the best preserved in Central Europe.
Starosta – Mayor – Jaroslav Martinu
Místostarostka – Vicemayor – Marie Kucerová, Marie Tomanova