Gmünd in Kärnten
About Gmünd in Kärnten
The picturesque medieval town of Gmünd lies an the edge of the Nationalparks “Hohen Tauern” and “Nockberge”, at the junction of two rivers “Lieser” and “Malta”.
Area: 31,59 km²
The town´s name “Gmünd” can be traced back to the German expressions “münden” or “Mündung” (engl.: estuary)
As early as 1346 Gmünd obtained a township statue, which made her one of the oldest settlements in Carinthia to enjoy the substantial freedoms such status provided. It was around this time that Gmünd´s fortified walls were built (which were expanded once again after the Great Fire in 1504), including four town gates. Even today people access the town through one of the four gates!
A whole city lives art and culture!
For 20 years now Gmünd successfully is developing to the first artists´town in Austria. With more than twenty galleries, artworkshops, exhibition rooms, International Artist-in-residence places and sculpture gardens Gmünd offers a wide range of contemporary fine art. The town is an outstanding example of towndevelopment through art and cultural programs.
History of Gmünd in Kärnten
History of the walled town of Gmünd:
11.-12. Jhd. – Gmünd is founded by the archbishops of Salzburg along the Roman trading route through the Lieser Valley
1252 – First documented mention.
1273 – Gmünd is named as archiepiscopal mart (“forum et civitas”).
1286 – Construction of the Pancratius Church.
1339 – Consecration of the parish church “Mary’s Assumption” .
1346 – Gmünd obtains township status through a charter awarded by Archbishop Ortholf.
1409 – Right of depot. The profits are used for the town’s fortification and the construction of the castle.
1478 – The Turks are incapable of conquering the town, owing to its solid fortification.
1480 – Hungarian troops occupy Gmünd for 7 years.
1487 – Liberation of the town by a body of Carinthian classes and imperial troops. Gmünd is part of Emperor Frederick III’s territories.
1502 – Emperor Maximilian I. sells Gmünd to the Archbishop Leonhard v. Keutschach of Salzburg. The emperor reserves the right of repurchases.
1504 – A conflagration destroys the town.
1525 – Rebellious peasants and pages occupy the town.
1555 – Christoph Pflügl purchases the territory Gmünd.
1594 – Siegmund Khevenhüller becomes new town mayor.
1600 – A sovereign commission under Bishop Martin Brenner of Seckau arrives in Gmünd to reconvert the inhabitants to catholicism.
1601 – Count Hans Rudolf v. Raitenau ransoms the territory Gmünd, which has been in the possession of the protestant family Khevenhüller.
1610 – The castle at the main square and the “Amthof” are built.
1639 – Gmünd belongs to the Counts of Lodron for approximately 300 years. The archbishop Paris Lodron donates the Lodronian “Fideikommiss” which makes Gmünd indivisible and unsalable by law.
1690 – An earthquake destroyed the town and it damaged many houses, churches and the castles of Lodron
1764 – First postal connection across the Katschberg and the Radstätter Tauern.
1773 – Last execution of a person who was called Eva Faschaunerin on the so-called gallows hill (“Galgenbühel”) outside Gmünd.
1782 – After the enactment of the “Toleranzpatent” (religious freedom) three protestant parishes are founded.
1792 – A devastating fire destroys almost the entire town.
1791-1801 – Temporary French occupation.
1809-1813 – Entire French occupation.
1834 – The first Austrian men’s choir is founded.
1886 – The old castle burns down. It remains a ruin.
1902 – At the site of an old sheet-metal company the first electric plant is constructed at the Kreuzbühel.
1903 – Flood disaster
1911 – Construction of the first water pipes to benefit from high mountain springs.
1923 – Beginning of bus traffic; end of coaches.
1932 – The Lodron “Fideikommiss”, telling that the territory is indivisible and unsalable, loses validity. This law affected a big territory of 18 ha.
1939 – Foundation of the “Hauptschule” (Secondary Modern School).
1944-1950 – Prof. Ferdinand Porsche’s car design office operates in Karnerau near Gmünd. During this period, the famous “Porsche 356″ model is developed.
1973 – Restoration of the historic town center with Dr. Moritz’s painting project.
1976 – Opening of the 9,6 km long route of the “Tauernautobahn”.
1977 – Restoration of Old Town Fortress begins.
1980 – Opening of the motorway-route Rennweg-Gmünd. Thus the “Tauernautobahn” is continuously trafficable from Salzburg to Spittal (146,5 km)
1982 – Opening of the “Porsche-Automuseum” (Porsche’s museum for cars).
1987 – The “Alte Burg” (former old ruin) gets accessible to the public again.
ab 1992 – Gmünd unfolds as town of culture and the arts.
1996 – 650th – anniversary of township status awarded to Gmünd.
1999 – Gmünd pronounced “most livable
2000 – municipality in Carinthia.
2000 – Gmünd receives European Award for Town Restoration “for its highquality cultural program”.
2001 – Reconstruction of Gmünd’s Lutheran Trinity Church.
2002 – Completion of restored cobblestone pavement in the historic town center.
2006/07 – Regional exhibition “Adventure journey WaterPower”
STADTGEMEINDE GMÜND IN KÄRNTEN
9853 Gmünd in Kärnten
Tel: +43 4732 2215-24 Fax: +43 4732 2215-35
E-mail: email@example.com website: www.stadt-gmuend.at
Kontaktperson – contact person
Dr. Erika Schuster